St Egelwin’s is the C of E parish church in Scalford. It was established by Egelwin in the fourth century.
Even though Egelwin’s brother was a king, he lived in a shack. He was poor and unhealthy and he devoted his life to God.
Saint Egelwin’s church is the only one named after him in the country! He is believed to be buried at the church.
The church has been converted many times but there are three crucial points in its history. It probably started off as a wooden shed and then it got knocked down and rebuilt out of stone. Much later on in 1636 the spire fell down and they decided to leave it as a tower. However the Victorians were responsible for changing the church the most. They introduced pews, the pulpit, the organ and a new font. The main material used to build the church was ironstone because it used to be quarried not far from here.
The porch measures 14 feet by 12 feet. It also has carvings on the ceiling, including a man sticking his tongue out. On the floor there is a red stain and there are stories that this was blood from and old battle but it probably came from a stove that used to stand here.
The nave is the biggest and the main part of the church. It was built in 1150 and it has 3 aisles the north, the middle and the south. Although the church has lots of seating now, originally there were no seats except near the walls and maybe the pillars for older people. On one side of the nave the pillars are leaning which people like to go and see. Between each of the arches on each side of the nave were the arms of twelve tribes of Israel but these have long since disappeared. At the far end of the church there is the pulpit which is where the vicar preaches sermons. It was bought in 1859 and is beautifully carved. The book rest is held by an eagle, the symbol of St. John. Opposite the pulpit is the lectern which is where people read from the bible. It is made from oak and was given in memory of Mrs Ann Webster in 1895.
by Verity & Eleanor
In the North Aisle there are two beautifully pointed arches with flower mouldings. They were built over some tombs in the 14th century for a man named Haubeck and his mother. The family were Lords of the Manor in Scalford for a long time.
by Keira and Olivia
St Egelwin’s font can be clearly seen as you enter the church. The font is the second one the church has had and dates back to the 19th century. No one knows where the original stone font ended up. The new font is made out of marble with a terra cotta panel showing John the Baptist.
by Isabel and Kayla
The chancel is at the east side of the church and it is the most holy part. In 1845 the Duke of Rutland restored the chancel after it collapsed in 1518. The red carpet running through the middle of the chancel has been there since 1965 and was given by a couple in memory of their parents.
The altar is at the east end of the chancel and is where Christians have bread and wine. An organ was built in 1859 for £150 and beside it some choir stalls were added.
by Jamie, Tommy & Ethan
The Old Clock
The old clock has been moved next to the altar and you can see the cogs that are inside it. Before it was here it was in the tower.
At the base of the tower is the belfry which is where the bells are rung this was also once used as a choir vestry. The bell tower has three bells: one was cast in 1595 another in 1615 and the third in 1616. In 1939 it was found that there were death watch beetles in the wooden framework so the bells were taken down so that repairs could be carried out.
by Elias and Lewis